Friday, March 20, 2009

Flowers galore

English Daisy that we forced for an early plant crop.
Pansies and Violas in various containers - hangning baskets, ovals, squares, rounds, bowls, and little pots.
These little plants are tough and will withstand slightly freezing temps. I've been experimenting at my house with a few different plants but they didn't fare so good
in the -8 C temperatures that we had a few nights ago. I think this was just a little too cold. :/ I planted pansies which will be ok when it warms up a bit, rannunculus which are stilll flowering amazingly! I also planted an english daisy, bacopa, lamium and osteospermum. It was too cold for all of these except the lamium, it's still as perky as a daisy!
This amazing flower is called a Clivia. It's a native to forest floors in southern Africa. It is a member of the amaryllis family and is one tough plant! It can be bone dry, tucked away in a corner and suddenly we'll spot a stalk peeking up through the leaves. When it flowers, it is glorious as you can see! To encourage flowers, these plants actually need to be dry and in a cool spot.
These colourful plants are rannunculus and primula. Our little metal angel is holding them.
Plants cry their gratitude for the sun in green joy.
Astrid Alauda

1 comment:

  1. A clivia is what I need then -- something I don't have to worry about. I'll have to remember to recommend this to those who say they can't keep a thing alive.

    ReplyDelete