Friday, May 7, 2010

Ode to Mothers

A mother's love determines how
We love ourselves and others.
There is no sky we'll ever see
Not lit by that first love.
Stripped of love, the universe
Would drive us mad with pain;
But we are born into a world
That greets our cries with joy.
How much I owe you for the kiss
That told me who I was!
The greatest gift--a love of life--
Lay laughing in your eyes.
Because of you my world still has
The soft grace of your smile;
And every wind of fortune bears
The scent of your caress.
I have two amazing mother's - the wonderful woman who gave birth to me (love you Mom!)
and the one I "inherited" when I got married. I hope I can be as great a mother-in-law as she is to me. Both have taught me many things. From tying my shoes to roasting a chicken, my "mothers" are always ready with advice. "Mom, my canned tomatoes didn't seal! What did I do wrong?" "Can I borrow a cup of sugar?" ( I did this just a couple of nights ago☺) or "How much flour do I add to my chicken juice to make gravy?"
Motherhood is highly underrated! A mother wears many hats and is always giving. Any woman can be a mothering-type and I am fortunate to have many wonderful women in my life who are there for me if I need someone. My sisters, sister-in-laws, friends, church family....I am so thankful!
Have a great weekend and I encourage you to send an email or a quick note to a woman in your life who's been there for you. I'm going to!

1 comment: