Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Heritage tomatoes

We are growing a variety of Heritage tomatoes,
from purple/black to lime green and yellow.
"A heritage or heirloom tomato is one of many old varieties from which seeds have been saved over the years and passed down from one generation to the next. Most tomatoes purchased in a grocery are hybrids. Hybrids have been bred to produce greater yields, uniformity, shipping durability and long shelf life - rather than flavor. Heritage tomatoes stand out first and foremost for their amazing flavors. They frequently have distinctive shapes, tastes and colors (purples, oranges, greens and yellows). Many of them are just as hardy and sturdy as hybrid varieties."
We began with a few last year and have added many more this year. Many thanks to my sister and brother-in-law who market gardened for a few years, testing and trying the heritage tomatoes. They have been a great help in ordering the seeds and giving their opinion as to which ones they liked the best.
Last year was not a very good growing year for tomatoes due to the extra moisture and cool weather we had. I know some where discouraged at how their plants grew(or didn't grow). I would encourage you not to give up after one year but to pursue this productive and delicious past-time. Each year is unique and will yield different results.
So give it a try again and enjoy the fruits of your labour!

2 comments:

  1. Lorraine,
    I was wondering if you have a small, almost tiny tim sized yellow variety of a patio tomotoe. I had one last year which was grown by my mom and I forgot to write down the variety. It was an awesome plant that produced almost more fruit than I could eat on a daily basis. The fruit was sweet and relatively low in acid. Hoping you can help with this question.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    Yes, there are two I believe. One called Gold Nugget and I can't remember the other name. I'm pretty sure I grew the Gold Nugget last year and it had alot of fruit!
    It was sweet and juicy.
    Hope this helps. :)

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete