Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What's flowering now?

These are mini carnation plants that are just beginning to bloom. The red ones smell lovely..like cinnamon. We're a little disappointed in how slow they are coming on and that the plants are not growing evenly. Today they were bumped off their bench in our main greenhouse to make room for the Tuberous Begonias that the ladies are planting.

This is a cineraria plant. It has delicate daisy-like blooms. It will bloom for a long time but when it's done, that's it. There's no reviving it. I think of cineraria in comparison with cut flowers. You enjoy them for awhile and then get something new.

There are still thousands of primula in the greenhouses. These particular ones on the carts are heading to Mississauga to the flower auction at Ontario Flower Growers. Perhaps I'll blog about this next time.

And last but certainly not least, our pansies are just beginning to bloom! What a delight to see this sign of spring! Pansies are quite tough and will weather outside in cool temperatures withstanding ice and light snow. One year in mid March, I planted pansies in my window boxes. A week or so later, we had an incredible ice storm. My pansies were encrusted in a thick layer of ice. To my surprise, when the ice melted, the plants were fine. I had to wait for the buds to open because the flowers were damaged but they came back beautifully, proving to me that these plants are a perfect option for early outdoor spring pots.

We will have pansies flowering for the next 2 months and probably beyond that.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog. I love checking it out. The pictures are a sure lift to the spirits. Thanks to the blog I'm starting to plan my garden. I'll be sure to drop by Huron Ridge.

    ReplyDelete