Friday, October 10, 2008

Remembering

This week we had a sad event....our "farm" dog Maggie passed away. She died peacefully in her sleep in one of her favourite spots. She was a wonderful dog, loved "her" kids, could worm her way into my heart with that pathetic look of hers. She loved our leftovers and would whine outside our door when she heard the plates being scraped.
She would yip exitedly when "her" kids came but would go crazy with panic during a thunderstorm. You could almost guess a storm was coming before it arrived because Maggie would act strange (frightened) and want to go into the house.
She would have her favourite spot on the front lawn sometimes waiting for the kids to get off the bus and would meet them partway. She was not allowed out the lane way in the morning and would be stopped halfway if she tried to sneak any further.
Maggie was happiest when the whole family was home and outside. If we'd go for a walk in the bush, her tail would be wagging happily, her nose to the ground searching for new smells. She was protective of the kids and I'm sure if someone would've tried to hurt them with her around, she wouldn't have allowed it. Grandpa Dave would talk to her in the morning like a human (Grandma says) when he headed out to work. I'm sure he will miss her company.
Maggie knew the sound of the Purolator truck when it came with a delivery and would run out to meet the driver, unashamedly begging for a treat. He's a smart guy that driver! He was here today but I couldn't tell him that Maggie wasn't around anymore for the lump in my throat.
Maggie, I found myself wondering where you were today, then would catch myself remembering. We miss you and will always have fond memories of you in our hearts.
Love
The Steckle Family

1 comment:

  1. oh what a sad post....... I got a lump in my throat just reading it.... it was almost a year ago that we lost Ace, it's alwaya hard to lose your dog, I hope you're kids are doing ok
    Love nini

    ReplyDelete